Today, I was craving something snacky, salty and crunchy so I made some Kale Chips. Kale is a leafy green that is extremely high in vitamin A and also high in vitamin C. It is low in carbs and very low in calories. Kale crisps up nice in the oven and is easy and quick to make “chips” with.
1 bunch of curly kale (I usually use organic kale)
2 teaspoons of olive oil
3/4 teaspoon of salt
|uncooked kale on the baking sheet – ready to cook|
(1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
(2) De-stem the kale. You can easily do this by tugging downward on the leaves with one hand while holding the stem with your other hand. The leaves will readily separate themselves from the stem.
(3) Wash and dry the leaves and trim them in 1 1/2 inch pieces. (I use a salad spinner to dry the leaves).
(4) Mix the leaves with the olive oil and salt. Use clean hands to gently massage the salt and oil in and distribute it evenly.
(5) Place the leaves in a single layer on a baking sheet. You will most likely need to make more then one batch.
(6) Cook for 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet 180 degrees and cook another few minutes until the middle of the leaves are crisped and edges are slightly browned.
My cook time was 9 minutes total, however your cook time will vary depending on your oven, baking sheet and the wetness and size of your kale chips.
1 cup of Kale Chips is approx. 43 calories, 3 grams of protein and 4 grams of net carbs.
There is a fine line between uncooked steamed leafs….beautifully crisped chips…..and burnt bitter kale chips. You really need to watch the leaves the last few minutes so that they don’t over cook.
“LIKE” our FACEBOOK page to get new recipes and additional tips at http://www.facebook.com/lowcarbcrock
Follow me on PINTEREST http://pinterest.com/christinecooks/
Copyright 2013 lowcarbcrock.com You may repost this recipe and its directions only if it is accompanied by a direct link back to the article on my site. You must be given my express permission for any other use. You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org