This hearty meatball stew is really satisfying!
I make this crock pot stew using my OAMC low carb baked meatballs (recipe link below). However, you can use any type of fully cooked meatballs; including store bought. Feel free to play with the ingredients in this recipe. It is quite forgiving! As with most of my crock pot recipes – no precooking in needed here.
3 cups of diced cabbage [adds 8.8 g. net carbs & 29 calories]
1 medium carrot chopped [adds 4.14 g. net carbs & 25 calories]
1 small diced yellow onion [adds 8 g. net carbs & 40 calories]
4 large celery stalks with leaves, diced [adds 3.36 g. net carbs & 36 calories]
(1) 14.5 ounce can of chopped tomatoes [I used the Target brand - adds 14 g. net carbs & 88 calories]
2 tablespoons of tomato paste [adds 5 g. net carbs & 60 calories)
3 cups of beef stock or beef broth [adds 3 g. of carbs 45 calories]
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
2 cups of baby spinach (I stuff it in when I measure it) [adds .88 g. net carbs & 14 calories]
10 fully cooked meatballs (cut into quarters) [adds only a trace of carbs and 730 calories]
Parmesan cheese (as a garnish)
(1) Place all of the ingredients into your slow cooker (except the meatballs, spinach and parmesan).
(2) Cook on high for 4 hours.
(3) Add the spinach and quartered meatballs and cook for 1 additional hour on high.
(4) Serve with lots of grated parmesan cheese on top as a garnish.
This is the recipe for the meatballs I use. They are baked, easy to make and only contain a trace amount of carbs: http://www.lowcarbcrock.com/2012/02/low-carb-meatball-recipe-awesome/.
These meatballs are freezer friendly and great for quick meal and soups etc.
This recipe makes about 9 cups soup. Each cup of soup contains approx. 5 g. net carbs and 119 calories.
You can use fully cooked store bought meatballs (just thaw them and quarter them before adding).