Low Carb Crock Pot Ribs (Dry Rub)

These low carb crock pot ribs use a homemade dry spice rub.  This rub recipe is one that I came up with based on my tastes, but you can modify it based on what spices you like and what you have on hand.  Taste the rub before you use it and you can alter it to suit your tastes.

We let these ribs cook all day on Memorial Day while we were out for 9 hours.  When we came back home, it was great to have dinner already cooked and ready to take to the pool with us.

These ribs with just the dry rub have only a trace amount of carbs in them.  No sauce is needed on these.  However, if your a BBQ sauce fan you can add it after cooking.  Just brush your sauce of choice on and place the ribs on a baking sheet and broil for a few minutes.

Ingredients:

Ribs (I used 5 lbs of beef ribs, but you can use whatever you like and in the amount you need).

2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon each of oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, salt
1/2 tablespoon pepper
1 teaspoon of allspice
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne (you can add more if you like heat – this amount of cayenne just adds flavor, no heat)

This rub recipe makes about 1/2 cup of spice mix and will give you plenty of rub for 5 lbs of ribs.  If you are making less then that, you can save the extra rub spices for another time.  It would also be good on chicken.

Directions:
Combine the dry spices to make the dry rub.  Poke slits with a sharp knife in the back membrane of the ribs (this allows the flavors in the rub to penetrate the ribs).  Rub the dry rub generously onto each side of the ribs. Pack the ribs in the slow cooker and cook 6 to 8 hours on low.  These are very forgiving and can be cooked longer if needed.  No liquid is needed for this recipe.

Tips:  I like to try and place the ribs in the slow cooker vertically in a circle pattern for even cooking, but sometimes they just don’t fit that way and that is okay too!

Join me for great low carb discussion!

“LIKE” our FACEBOOK page at http://www.facebook.com/lowcarbcrock

Follow me on PINTEREST http://pinterest.com/christinecooks/

Copyright 2013 lowcarbcrock.com Do not copy. This is an original recipe. You may repost this recipe only by a direct link back to the article on my site. You must be given my express permission for any other use. You can contact me at admin@christineiscooking.com

Comments

1. This sounds great and I will try it! Thanks!

2. Just put them on the smoker I’ll let you know …..

3. This recipe is great. I have had dry rub ribs but never made them. My family has made me promise to make these again soon! Going to try chicken this weekend.

4. Snow starting today into Sunday and these are on the menu once again!

5. Nanette says:

For those that don’t want to invest in a crockpot, I have found you can make just about any crockpot recipe in an ovenproof pot with an ovenproof lid in the oven @ 300 degrees for 2-3 hours.

6. Rob Moore says:

Wow, I just tried this, came out perfect. I did not have any chili powder so increased the cayenne to 1/2 tsp and used 1/2 tbl paprika. Great flavor and they turned dark brown just like from the restaurant. I will do this again. Thanks

7. Tried them following a sale on ribs at local market. Recipe was so good that we purchased more ribs for summer season. Put them in crockpot at 5:00 am and tuned to “warm” at noon, went to a movie and returned at 3:00pm and sampled them.
    They were delicious. Kept them on “warm” until we ate at 5:00pm.
    Talk about a forgiving recipe!

8. Anyone have the nutrition content for these?

9. Made these a few days ago and they were incredible! I had no idea great ribs were that easy. Thanks!

10. Candie Lappin says:

I loved these!!!! Thanks so much!!!! Question? Can these same spices be used on Pork Chops??? Have you tried that or do you have a recipe for Low Carb Pork Chops?

• Christine says:

Hi Candie!

I am so glad you liked the ribs. You could absolutely use that same rub on pork chops.

Thanks,
      Christine

• Hi again Christine!!!! Still making those Ribs on a weekly basis lol..yum yum…I have a question for you..I was wondering about Roasts…I know I can use the spices on Roast also but I have no success with Roast in Crock Pot…Too dry….do you think it is because I am always added liquids? I am thinking if I just cook it the same way and add NO liquids like I do the Ribs it would be tender?

• Christine says:

Hi Candie,

I have some really got crock pot roast recipes. Just put roast in the search box on the left. Pot roast works really good because it is a bit fatty.

Take care,
          Christine

11. Here goes…I do not cook often, so I am always looking for easy, low-carb recipes. I can’t wait to try these ribs. My husband is already shocked that I prepared my own “dry rub”!!

12. It’s pretty easy to peel of the silverskin — the membrane on the back of the ribs.

Slip a butterknife between the silverskin and one of the bones near the end of the ribs. Twist it slowly to separate the silverskin from the bone. When the butterknife is vertical, use a paper towel to pinch the silverskin and the butter knife. Slowly lift the silverskin, and it should come up in one easy sheet.

The paper towel is the key piece here — it lets you get a solid grip on the silverskin. If you try pulling the silverskin by hand, you’ll either slip or tear the silverskin through too much pressure in one spot.

13. Michele Williams says: